Can I File a Lawsuit If I Slipped and Fell on Government Property?

Slip and fall accidents are some of the most common accidents in the United States, sending thousands of people to the emergency room each year with injuries ranging from mild cuts and bruises to serious concussions, bone fractures, paralysis, and even death. These accidents can happen to anyone, anywhere, and at any time and are usually a result of negligence on the part of a property owner. While determining liability in private property slip and fall accident cases might be less complicated, the same cannot be said of such incidents that occur on government property.

These types of accidents that occur on a government-owned or operated property are complicated legal matters. In such cases, it is often difficult to determine the exact government authority or agency responsible for negligent conduct that resulted in a slip and fall accident. However, it is not impossible. If you or your loved one were involved in a slip and fall on government property, you can file a lawsuit against the negligent government entity and claim compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial damages.

Proving Negligence

Like any other slip and fall accident, you have to prove negligence on the part of the government if your accident occurred on government property to obtain compensation for your damages. You can prove negligence on the part of the government if you provide evidence supporting your claim, stating that the government agency had reasonable notice of the dangerous conditions that led to the accident but failed to take appropriate steps to remedy the situation.

Since the burden of proof in such cases lies on the victim, you will have to support your claim with as much physical evidence as possible. Physical evidence includes everything from the pictures of the accident site, photographic record of your injuries resulting from the accident, written or recorded statements from eyewitnesses present at the scene of the accident, and a copy of the official report filed with the relevant government entity that served to alert them regarding the accident.

This notice is important in most slip and fall cases that occur on government property. Most states in the United States have specific procedural laws that stipulate that the victim of an accident must file an official claim with the relevant government agency within a fixed period. Failure to file a notice of claim within this deadline can result in you losing your right to file a lawsuit and obtain compensation for your financial damages. It helps to be aware of this deadline because it can be as short as one month depending on the state where the accident occurred.

Recoverable Damages

If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident on government property, you might be able to sue for compensation of a wide range of damages, including but not limited to your medical bills, costs of ongoing medical and surgical treatment, cost of physical or occupational therapy, incidental expenses, compensation for pain and suffering, and more. These compensable damages can help you minimize your financial loss and support yourself through a tough recovery, especially if you incurred serious physical injuries as a result of your slip and fall accident.


If you or your loved one slipped and fell on a government-owned or operated building, you should consult a competent personal injury lawyer. An attorney with extensive experience in these cases can help you navigate the complicated legal process of obtaining compensation through a legal claim filed in a court of law. Expert legal representation can also help you choose the best course of action if any unforeseen complications arise during the process.

More to Read: